Bountiful boobies and softcore sex in space from the wonderful Roger Corman studios. Seriously what more could you want? Ok, ok, let’s throw in an Alien rip-off to add to the bonanza of mayhem. Get ready for a slice of sleazy science-fiction cult action fun and who really cares if it’s actually any good or not? Forbidden World is a sure-fire, it’s so bad it’s good space romp.
Tagline – The seed is planted… the nightmare grows
Space maverick Mike Colby (Jesse Vint) is peacefully sleeping in his stasis pod dreaming of wet t-shirt competitions. Until he’s rudely awaken by a fleet of approaching ships intent on blowing him to smithereens. Lucky his trusty robot SAM-104 (Don Olivera) is holding the fort but as the deadly force gets ever closer he needs Mike’s battle skills. After an explosive battle the victorious duo of Mike and Sam find the ship is in need of repairs. Piece of luck, they just so happen to be on course for the planet Xarbia. Now let’s get straight into the flirting.
Dr. Barbara Glaser – “I hear you’re the biggest trouble-shooter in this part of the galaxy.”
Mike Colby – “That’s what they tell me.”
Dr. Barbara Glaser – “How’d you like to see some… trouble?“
Mike and Sam just so happen to have landed on a remote scientific research center. Met at the airlock by sexy blond Dr Barbara Glaser (June Chadwick) and Dr. Gordon Hauser (Linden Chiles). “You’re a new face around here, we don’t often get new faces” “That’s a truth” replies Barbara with a glint in her eye. Barbara is in need of some new eye candy. Mike is happy. But wait! There’s another beautiful young lady, Tracy Baxter (Dawn Dunlap) and she’s even more of a stunner. Mike has hit the jackpot! Oh boy, little does he know what is installed for him in the next hour.
Dr Gordon informs are two visitors that the research center has been working on a genetic experiment to create a new food source. With a seemingly brilliant breakthrough with Subject 20. Things unfortunately went wrong in a spectacular way! Subject 20 began to mutate and in doing so ripped to shreds all the test animals in their cubicles. It’s a totally shit storm in the laboratory with dead bloodied carcasses scattered around in frenzied carnage. Still, no one really seems that bothered by this! Especially the forever smoking and coughing lead scientist Dr. Cal Timbergen (Fox Harris).
Let the havoc and bloodshed begin with the usual cannon fodder crew ready to be consumed in one way or the other. Gore, splatter, guts and a right goopy mess is thrown across the research center as the mutant transforms into Ripley’s Alien crossed with Audrey 2 from Little Shop Of Horrors.
Mike Colby – “Let’s go bag ourselves a Dingwhopper!”
So what to do whilst this carnage is happening? Well let’s get naked! We get Barbara and Tracy in a shower scene together. There’s time for a montage lovemaking sequence between Barb and Mike that is truly awful and hilarious at the same time. A scientist wanders, thinking in his dressing gown. A sweaty jealous man watches the action on a monitor as he spins a kids toy! Barb checks out Mike’s dodgy scars whilst crew member, Brian Beale (Raymond Oliver) plays a future flute to the bizarre steamy saucy scene. Oh and later to chillout after all the mayhem, Tracy decides to go for a naked sauna whilst Mikes just happens to walk in and now he’s ready for seconds!
Tracy Baxter – “You know what? It looks like you could really use the steam bath!”
Mike Colby – “Well, I had a hard night.”
Tracy Baxter – “So fair’s fair. Get naked.“
A few things.
- Don’t judge a book by its cover or a movie poster for that matter! That artwork for Forbidden World might be awesome but it hasn’t any resemblance to the film.
- Directed by Allan Holzman from a story and screenplay from Tim Curnen and Jim Wynorski.
- Forbidden World is also known as Mutant and Subject 20 at various times.
- June Chadwick is probably best known as Lydia, one of the invading aliens from the 80s sci-fi series V. If memory serves me well she was 2nd in command to Diana (Jane Badler)
- Jesse Vint had a part in the superb eco science fiction movie with Bruce Dern and one of my favs, Silent Running (1972)
- Investigated to see what else the lovely Dawn Dunlap had been in. Oh my! a blast from the past, Barbarian Queen (1985)! I remember renting that turkey on VHS. Sold on the cover. Hey don’t judge, I was a teenager hehe.
- Forbidden World shares some of the same Corman sets recycled from Battle Beyond the Stars (1980) and Galaxy of Terror (1981)
- If you’re looking for another naughty science fiction movie with some boobies then Android is good fun.
I’ll leave the plentiful nakedness, the mutant and the rest of the crazy action scenes for you. Yeah of course Forbidden World is bad but hey bad can be really good fun. Go check it out if you can and if you have and fancy dropping a comment, then by all means feel free to do so. Maybe pop in for some tasty technicolor food? Yummy!